Friday, December 15, 2017

Less Is More

This has been a liberating season for me.  May I share?

For years (literally!), my calling at my church has been to fill in...just wherever I was needed.  The problem?  Once I begin something, though, that event, project, endeavor becomes my baby, and who likes throwing out the baby with the dishwater?  (From wherever did that saying begin?!)

Then, a series of serious events (at least to me!) begin to happen...until the straw broke (yes, I do seem be full of cliches this evening!).  As I accepted the broken straw...over a span of minutes...maybe a few hours?...there came a liberation from the Lord to give up.  Not to give up.  To just begin doing my part.  This week has been just that, a time to reflect and to share, to choose, to let go, to begin doing less, so that I might begin doing more.

My prayer request this week to my prayer team has been that God grant me wisdom as I listen and He continues to guide.  Would you pray that prayer for me...that wisdom be given to me, that I use only His Wisdom?

I really need to do less so that I might do more.

I need more time with the Lord:  time to be in His Word.  This year I will complete only my second reading of the Bible cover to cover.  Shame on me!  I should have been doing this for years!  Much is to be said about reading the Bible chronologically and absorbing the narrative of His Coming...from Genesis to Revelations. 

Yes, slowing down and reading less is also important.  Choosing a study and landing there to marinate in The Word.  Slowing down and re-reading verses, chapters, even books of the Bible, absorbing the answers as He speaks through the pages of my several Bibles.


I really need to do less so that I might do more.

Being over involved simply means that I am stretched too thin, resulting in my never quite accomplishing much to my potential.   Yes, many activities occur, fellowships are hosted, events occur....but am I also hindering others from working for The Lord?  I hope not.  I certainly do not want to one day hear, "Lord, I would done more for the church, but Tammy...she just took care of things."  What?!  No!

I really need to do less so that I might do more.

More with my family.  The Husband has been diagnosed with a rare form of arthritis in his feet.  The Girl, who is doing well, well...I am not willing to give up these years anymore and miss time with her.  Some weeks, I am gone 4-5 nights a week for other activities.  This week, for instance, three nights were spent attending three Christmas parties.  Fun!  So...okay...we should not judge based on this week!  It's Christmas!  Yay! 

I am interested in focusing more on my Bible study group...of ever learning The Word with them.  This group of ladies bless me every time we meet.  Every time.  I am also so blessed by the studies He has sent us toward.

My dream...yes, to do less so that I may accomplish more.

I could go on...and will, for I have chosen the word less as by 2018 My One Word.  Or did The Lord choose this word for me?  I am so enjoying the peace that has come with this word.  If you know me, you are saying right now...yes, I can hear you!..."This must be the Lord, for that Tammy is always busy, and she wants to do less?!"

Yes, I am ready to do less...so I may do more.

What word is He giving you for 2018?  To what is He leading you to do...or not to do?

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment