Friday, July 20, 2012

Verse by Verse

Currently, the discipleship training class I lead is studying Anne Graham Lotz's The Magnificent Obsession. So very interesting!

Lotz's bible study time focuses on just a few verses that are analyzed by completing three steps:

  1. List the facts in each verse...no paraphrasing. 
  2. Learn the lesson from each fact.  This may differ from person to person depending on life's lessons.
  3. Listen to what the Lord is telling you in each verse and respond to that in the form of a question.
I have learned so much about Abraham and Lot that I did not ever catch/learn before when reading their narratives and lessons in Genesis.  Abram should not have taken his father nor Lot with him.  Abram failed to pray when confronted with a famine and made some very poor decisions, including giving his wife Sarai to Pharaoh to be a part of his harem.  Horrible!  Bad Abram!  To return to God, Abram had to...literally...return to the spot where he left God.  Lot was selfish.  Very selfish.  To the max.

What a difference this method has made and is making in my comprehension of the facts within the verses and the lessons that the Lord wants me to learn.

One thing that really stood out to me in this week's five-day selections of verse study was the differences between Abram and Lot.  I had never noted before that the Bible makes no note of Lot ever praying.  Quite the contrast to Abram, who builds several altars to the Lord.  Oh, the power of prayer!  And the rewards of of that prayer are wondrous.  Powerful!

May we pray...on this day of loss of so much life in Theater 9?

Lord, we come to you, not ever wanting to be a Lot, who did not turn to you.  Lord, for the families of the victims, may you surround them with a peace and a sense of comfort that only You can give.  Please place the people in their lives, the angels such as the ones you sent to Lot to warn him and his family, may you take care of those families.

Lord, for those injured, please guide the hands of the doctors and nurses and bring them such healing, both physically and mentally.

Lord, for the family and close friends of the shooter, I pray for them comfort also as the endure the anguish that is a result of such a horrific act against humanity.

Lord, for our country, may you forgive the sins our country, for her many misdeeds and her conduct, conduct that so not pleasing to you.  Lord, may you bring healing to our country.

Amen.
_______________________

Another way in which I feel God is leading is how I spend my time in the mornings. Currently, I get up check out Facebook, my email, and update my Smurfville, a game I play on the iPad.  What if I spent that time studying His word?  I would not be so far behind in my attempt to read the Bible through in a year!
  
I am also reading Lotz's book by the same name, reading the chapters as we study that focus in discipleship training.  In this week's chapter, Lotz shares how God had her get up early to study and listen.  "...it's better to be sleep deprived than God deprived." (pg. 55)

Right now, I have time the time to read study, but what about when school starts, and class work dominates my time, and I am, oh, so tired in the evenings...what about that?  If I sat my alarm for 5 AM, that would give me an hour to study and listen.  Can I do it?

I really would rather be sleep deprived than God deprived!

No comments:

Post a Comment