Saturday, December 7, 2013

Why I Read...or Don't

I have always considered myself an avid reader.  Avid.  Addicted. Until this year.

Pondering on this, I realize that this change is a result of my reading more Biblically-based books, thus, changing my genre of choice.  I have several other genres sitting...waiting...for me to read them, but I just do not have the same desires I once had.
womenofchristmas
Thus, my recent focus has been on either school/academic related topics or on a Christian focus.  For example, I just completed Christmas Jars (please read!) and am involved in a study of Liz Curtis Higgs' The Women of Christmas.  So wonderful. Let me share a few links in which you might be interested...

Thinking you do not have enough time to catch up?  Then, just purchase the book (I saw it the other day at a local bookstore...you can find yourself a copy!)...and just begin reading.  You might want to have a pen, highlighter...or some favorite marking device handy, for you will find yourself saying, "Oh, that is good!  I want to remember that!"


This holy season is about making room for Jesus.

Welcoming him into our homes, our families, our lives.

Flinging open the door to our hearts.

Liz Curtis Higgs



For my Sunday evening Discipleship Class, I am using this study.  I have deviated a bit, for I only have three Sundays to cover the info.  Last Sunday, we met Zechariah, Elizabeth, Gabriel, and Mary...and got just to the point where Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost...had hoped to end on Mary's song, but time did not allow, or better yet, that is exactly where God wanted us to arrive.

I was so pleased with the attendance and participation and the sweet, sweet spirit that was there.  His presence is just sooooo peaceful, isn't it?  We have a committee meeting during this time, and I was concerned about attendance.  I really should just quit the worrying part, for when God's Will intervenes, he just takes care of preparing the hearts of the people, doesn't He?

I am also using the movie Liz Curtis Higgs recommended...The Nativity Story.  I had not seen this version (sooooo good!) and am just showing the scenes that go along with the book study.

Following the study, a man in attendance approached me and asked if he might run the PowerPoint and videos for me.  Yes!  That meant so much to me.  I love the people in my class, and I do not think I would hurt any of their feelings by stating that none of them are tech savvy!  So his asking was definitely a blessing.

One of the ladies just had to chat,  "Tammy, this is so good."  Here's the testimony:  her vertigo was acting up so badly that she just came for the class.  The result:  God was faithful and spoke to her throughout the study.  He just does good things like that for us...always mindful of our needs...and wants.  

From this study, I have written a draft of a Christmas program/cantata.  Just wish I had begun earlier, for now we have had wintery weather, and should we not have church, I am not certain if I/we can pull this program together.  We'll see...the Lord can work out amazing situations.  Just waiting for His Will.

So, yes...while I may read less, I am reading more of what God wants me reading.  That, my friend, is a win-win situation.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment