Sunday, November 2, 2014

Joseph, the Step-dad?

This week, as I have continued Karen Kingsbury's The Family of God, I have spent some time thinking about Joseph and the man of God he was.

I am sure you know the history, but please consider...

...your betrothed is pregnant...surely, the only answer is that she has been unfaithful.
...love her?  divorce her? 
...support her?  be a step-dad? 
...finding confirmation in meeting Anna and Simeon. 
...becoming the protector...the father-figure... 
...listening to your son Jesus say he has been about his "father's" business, knowing he is not referring to you...

Seeing these events through the eyes of Joseph has been interesting, soul-touching, maybe life-changing?  For I, too, have been in the step position.  Looking back, I wished I had studied Joseph about ten years ago.

Considering the roles of men and women during that time, Joseph's being the head of the house-hold remained even more significant, for he insulated Mary from what could have been a death warrant, a stoning, a harsh way to die. Instead, he heeded the voice of the angel, he followed his heart, he loved her...and Jesus as his own.

Karen Kingsbury's liberty with the story-telling of Joseph is so endearing.  I love the orchids.  The artistic renditions of the story are beautiful.

Yesterday, my daughter returned from an outing declaring, "I don't know why, but it's beginning to feel like Christmas."  Maybe the cooler air?  The falling leaves?  The candles burning, sending out fall scents?  For me, it's diving into these stories of the family of Jesus.

Yes, please consider remaining close to the real reason for the season.  Enjoy a blessed fall and Christmas season. Aren't you glad we are a part of that family, also?

No comments:

Post a Comment