Monday, January 9, 2012

A Fresh Start

Last night, I led the first session in our new Discipleship Training study...oh, my!  I was so blessed!  I felt led to choose Kerry Shook's study Fresh:  Reviving Stale Faith (part of Lifeway's Platform series),which focuses on old spiritual disciplines (meditation, fasting, and silence) to create a revived, newer faith.  Truly amazing!  One of the ladies later sent me a text and said, "It was exhilarating!" and my pastor text today and asked what I thought about having a huge banner made, entitled "Fresh Start in 2012"...absolutely!

For our theme song, I chose...no, the song chose me..."Spirit Wind" by Casting Crowns.  So powerful!  So timely!  The song centers on Ezekiel and the Valley of the Dry Bones (Ezekiel 37: 1-14).  The song is on their new CD Come to the Well (I also ordered lead singer Mark Hall's book The Well:  Why Are So Many Still Thirsty?).  Ever hear a song. and you just have to hear it again...and again...and again? That was what "Spirit Wind" did for/to me.  Again, so powerful!

I have finally found my niche at church.  Over the years, I have taught/led, as the need arose, several children's programs (CIA, AWANA) and two tours of duty with the youth.  There, for a while, I felt my "gift" or calling was to fill in wherever needed. Never, though, did I feel this excitement, this anticipation about teaching/leading at church.  I love it!  The reality?  I am being so much more blessed than the attendees are!

I also shared Made to Crave with the ladies, and we will now be meeting on Wednesday evenings to take off the pounds as we lean on the Lord for strength and cravings in this area of our lives.  I did not want to stretch myself too far (I also teach high school English, have a family, and...well, you know, life!), but then I read the next chapter in the book, and Lysa TerKeurst encouraged finding a friend(s) with whom to share the experience. So I said, "Okay, God, I will put the word out.  If they come, it's your will. From the responses yesterday, several of the ladies will be joining me on this journey, also!

As I have meditated on the above, I believe the Lord is leading me to assist in two other areas in our church, as well...
  1. A ladies' retreat:  This retreat will focus on the relationship between Naomi and Ruth and the new song by Nichole Nordeman and Amy Grant "I'm with You" from the album Music Inspired by the Story.  Based on the emphasis of mentoring, I would like to see our own ladies lead small sessions, all based on this theme.  To assist in creating this curriculum, I have also ordered The Story of Ruth:  Twelve Moments in Every Woman's Life, Ruth:  The Bridegroom's Love for the Church Revealed, and Face-to-Face with Naomi and Ruth:  Together for the Journey.  Doesn't this sound exciting?  A group of Christian ladies learning, committing to mentoring each other for the kingdom of God.
  2. Easter Cantata:  I have been reading about The Story, and I would like for our small music department to focus on some of these songs, maybe an emphasis on Mary's part of the story, as she watches prophecy fulfilling in the loss, yet eternal gain of her son, her baby, her Lord, her Saviour. To further my thinking on this, I ordered The Story and Music Inspired by the Story.
As you can see, I have purchased several resources, which does not help my goal to NOT purchase an many books.  The Lord understands, and He will provide.

How is the Lord working in your life?  I encourage you to read and study His Word, to meditate on Him and with Him.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment