Thursday, December 26, 2013

My One Word 2013



For three years, I have participated in the My One Word Challenge, much to my own benefit.  PLEASE consider accepting the challenge of your own word...just try it.

My Words:
  • Year 1:  Peace...so important during a year when I seemed to experience so much conflict and trouble, at work and during the loss of my mom.
  • Year 2:  Quiet...the quiet during and after the storm.  The quiet I enjoyed also when I deliberately held my tongue.  Very powerful that not speaking is!  I also enjoyed more quiet time for me.  A really good thing.
  • Year 3:  Fit...mentally, emotionally, physically.  All better in some ways...and in some, I still need to focus.  Hint...going to for a walk today!
My One Word 2014:  Smile

Why the word smile?  This may seem like a strange answer, but here goes...

When I was in college during my senior year, I was selected Miss Arkansas College.  What was amazing about that time to me remains that I was a "good" girl, one who, because of religious preferences, always wore dress, had long hair, and wore no make-up, yet I was chosen.  Why?  As I have looked back on that time, I think really do think I achieved that honor because I smiled and spoke to everyone.  I was just a friendly person.

Am I not now?

Yes and no.  This thing called adulthood causes us to change:  we have more responsibilities, we know who we are (if you don't like it, then that is your problem...ever heard that one?), we tend to like who we are, we more more self-dependent.  
As the year-end nears, I have begun pondering on my next word, and this memory keeps flashing to the forefront.  That and also because I do not think I am perceived as I once was.  Just last week, I was described as "prim and proper," although how I was in college probably fits into that category also!  I want my students to see me as happy.  I want to smile more.

I also want to smile more emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.  Consider this:

Proverbs 15:13  A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit.

Proverbs 15:30  A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones. (NIV)

A cheerful face!  A joyful heart!  Healthy bones!  Yes, this is for I!  I'll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment