Thursday, January 9, 2014

Favorite 50 Proverbs: Week 1

Author Liz Curtis Higgs is hosting this Bible focus on the Book of Proverbs, and I hope to follow along. Please check out this post and read along.

Week 1's scripture is Proverbs 3:3 -
Never let loyalty and kindness leave you!
Tie them around your neck as a reminder.
Write them deep within your heart
.  

Isn't that beautiful and just so peaceful? Just imagine those exhibiting those two qualities daily. In case the words "tie them around your neck" bothered you, I picture a cute necklace, which I usually always have on one.

This scripture challenges me to be...yes, be...better to one of my classes, one that is nearly full of boys, boys who would probably rather be anywhere than English class. In my classes I like to have lots of discussion, but with this class, I seem to have to be on guard with every comment, for they are so quick to cut each other down, to become loud, and then be totally off topic. At that precise second, I can just feel myself getting so "uptight" with them.  The kindness just leaves! Part of me wants to call it tough love...the other just does not feel very kind at all!  

My goal: take this scripture into the classroom and live it.  Live it.  Every kind moment of it.  

They really are just good kids.  I...yes, I...need to work on funneling that energy in the directions I need it to flow.  

This scripture also reminds me of how often I have heard my husband acknowledge how important loyalty in family should be...how hurtful those moments are.  We have lived several examples of family seemingly being more loyal those to have hurt us.

Christian love?  Maybe.
Straddling the fence?  Probably.
Hurting the ones that are biologically related?  Yes.

Truly, we should hide this very powerful attribute in our hearts and live it. 

Never let loyalty and kindness leave me...

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment