Saturday, January 11, 2014

Christian Book Challenges: Are You Ready?

I read for pure enjoyment...and to learn more about a topic or myself.  This year, I have chosen more Christian and author-chosen read-alongs than I have in the previous years, and for that choice?  I have six books to read this month!  Thus far, I have completed two for these challenges...will I make it?!

May I introduce you to the challenges?

Women's Bible Cafe:  This group always has three books being read and this discussed.

  1. Bible Study:  David:  Seeking a Heart Like His by Beth Moore (this one is in the mail)
  2. Fiction:  Fifteen Minutes by Karen Kingsbury
  3. Non-Fiction:  Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver
The Happiness Project:  Here, she has three books, but due to all my other commitments, I chose this one, which I will also count in my goal to read more classics (maybe a modern classic, for it was written in 1951):
  • January - Eccentric Pick:  The End of the Affair by Graham Greene.  
The Paper Chase Book Club:  our only locally owned book store's book club.  Please note that two of these are either Biblically related or by authors who have written Christian books.
  • January - Miss Julia Takes Over by Ann B. Ross...this is the second in a series of 14 novels, so,yes, I had to read the first one, also.  Awesome and so very funny series!
  • February - Still Alice by Lisa Genova...this is about a lady with Alzheimer's.  Because of the subject, I almost dread reading it as this is the disease that claimed and took my mother from me.  Maybe, though, it will be a form of continued healing...hope so!
  • March - Book of Esther from the Bible
  • April - Crossroads by William Paul Young, also author of The Shack.
BHS Reads:  our high school faculty book club...
  • January - The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown...learned so much about the Masons and Washington, DC, in this one.  Interesting!
  • February - The Fallen Snow by John J. Kelley
  • March - Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks
Here's where I keep up with my reading throughout and over the years.  This year, I have chosen a different format for record keeping.  Instead of adding the books I as I read them, I am creating a list to-be-read and linking them to the book's review as I read.  Should I not read, I will remove the book from the list.  I like success; therefore, I do not want to have to remove a book!

What books are you reading?  Joined any challenges?  And, of course, you are invited to join any of the above challenges.  I have teachers that read the books for BHS Reads and never join our monthly meetings.  I would love for them to join us, though; that's just more to add to our discussions!

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. The Happiness Project :)
    That's a lovely name 4 a book :)

    ReplyDelete