Sunday, May 28, 2017

He Has Anointed Me...and You

This morning, we studied the following scripture in Sunday School class:
17 And the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written,
18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives
    and recovering of sight to the blind,
    to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.”
20 And he rolled up the scroll and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. 21 And he began to say to them, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.”

Verse 18 still continues to speak to me of the four reasons He was anointed.

  1. proclaim good news to the poor
  2. proclaim liberty to the captives
  3. recover the sight to the blind
  4. liberate the oppressed
He was sent for whom?
  1. the poor
  2. the captives
  3. the blind
  4. the oppressed
Who are we?  Who am I?
  1. the poor
  2. the captive
  3. the blind
  4. the oppressed
Yes, sometimes, I am physically poor, a captive, blind, and oppressed; sometimes, I fight these areas spiritually. 

May I share how I have been poor...in ways that had nothing to do with $$$.
  1. One way that I have been physically poor...few female friends.  No one would have ever said this about me, yet I was.  I had been married for several years and had drifted from my close girl friends.  I missed these relationships, this girl time.  So I prayed.  This prayer he has answered in a mighty and special way.  From book clubs to professional organizations to Bible study groups to women's conferences.  Everywhere, the Lord has enriched my life with female friends.  May I also note?  This answered prayer I do not take lightly.  I thank Him much for all my lady friends.  I pray for them...as I know they pray for me.  Blessed I am.
  2. During the time of the above prayer request, I experienced the renewal of the joy of the gift of His Salvation to me.  Days went by...maybe weeks?...during which the only time I read His Word was when the preacher directed me to do so in church.  But I was enriched.  I began to dive into Bible studies, both in the Bible and in written studies.  I never, ever want to go back to that poor spiritual state, for this joy of salvation is such a sweet place to reside.
Have I been a captive?  Blind?  Oppressed?  Yes, both physically and spiritually.  Have you?

I realize that He came for me.    Just for me.  He died for me.  He rose for me.  Because He did and I accepted this gift of His Salvation, I am anointed.

For whom are we anointed?
  1. the poor
  2. the captives
  3. the blind
  4. the oppressed
That's right.  Living for Him, we are here to fulfill John 3:16; we are to go into the world for the poor, the captives, the blind, the oppressed, sometimes for their physical needs, sometimes for their spiritual needs.

This is now my prayer:
Dear Lord, please use me to assist Your Children:  that I may either plant, cultivate...maybe even help harvest...for Your Kingdom.  Open my eyes that I may see the need of the poor, the captives, the blind, the oppressed.  Please allow the Holy Spirit that resides in me be helpful to someone in need of You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment