Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Pit: Digging In or Lifted Out?

Throughout the Christmas season, I was involved in two events that centered around Joseph from the Old Testament.  First, we took our church youth to see Joseph in Branson (so good!), and then our school book club chose Richard Paul Evan's novel A Winter Dream as its December read.  I remember commenting then to a friend that God must surely be wanting be to learn something from this story.

Then, last night as I was driving home after dropping off The Daughter at play practice, Beth Moore's book Get out of the Pit came on my mind.  I had purchased this book some time ago, started it, then put it aside...for a season, I suppose.  For a reason, I know.

When I got home, I pulled it off shelf and began reading it.  The season is my life is now right for the message of this book, and now I will read it for a reason.

One, of several, statements that spoke to me so specifically was..."On any path we can spin our wheels and throw mud until we dig a ditch right in the middle of an otherwise decent job or relationship."  So true.
Has it occurred to you that maybe a pit is one place where you're not supposed to be content?  Maybe you thank God you're not.  Some things weren't meant to be accepted. (page 8)
Last night was just an epiphany for me.  One hates admitting defeat and conceding this pit of mine seemed like another failure.  Paradoxically, it also felt so liberating, especially as the words on this page began to speak to my soul.

More on this to come...

On another note, I wrote last week and asked God,  "Lord, please help me to help myself to become fit in all areas of my life to be a better Christian, a better mom, a better wife, a better teacher, better in all areas for You. Amen."

He is already answering that prayer!  Not in the way I had planned. On two nights, I sat and felt flutters in my chest area; then, on Sunday morning, my heart began beating at a much faster pace, thumping loudly in my ears.  Scared me!  As I began to get ready for church, the reason came to me.  The Lord was answering my prayer!  What better motive for me to get in shape, to get more fit than to scare me with physical  heart concerns?   Lord, I am listening!  Now eating better, drinking more water, going to bed earlier.  Now, just got to get this body moving down that road outside my house...the very inspiration for this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment